Monday

It's Not Hot, You're Hot

I have some exciting news that I'm very proud to share with you all! I completed my 30 day Bikram Yoga challenge on the 19th of January 2012!

Here's some background information before I reflect on my experience. If some of you are completely lost when I mention Bikram Yoga, it's a type of practice of yoga created by Bikram Choudhury (photo below).



The yoga consists of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. It's usually 90 minutes but what makes this yoga so unique is that it is practiced in a room of 40 degrees celsius or for American readers 104 degrees fahrenheit! Extremely hot but it helps you a significant amount in stretching with your postures.



My practice towards Bikram Yoga didn't actually begin on day one of this challenge. I had already tried and practiced Bikram Yoga before. I was introduced to it by my cousin in Mexico during the summer of 2011 and I really enjoyed the first class experience I had and believed that I should continue practicing with this. When I returned to Singapore I found this newly opened studio that I completely fell in love with the vibe & the actual doing of the classes. I dragged my family, friends, everyone I could because I just believe that this yoga actually does help you clear your mind whilst having a large sum of benefits physically, mentally & spiritually. 

This Christmas break I decided that I should challenge myself with completing a 30 day challenge before going back to University. So I counted the days and planned my time out to actually get this goal of mine completed.
My final class was taught by my amazing and beautiful mentor, Maria Lourdes Chan. It was a fantastic class to end the challenge. With my mom in the class, Clancy (my other mentor) and Maria giving the class I could not ask for more. I asked Maria to take some photos of the postures I am really proud of, which are the Back Bend, Head to Knee Pose & Camel! Here are the results:

Back Bend Pose

Head to Knee Pose

Camel Pose

The whole journey was an incredible experience. I would recommend it to anyone that is even a slight bit interested. I would definitely do it again and will continue to practice Bikram Yoga in my room in University because sadly there's no studio in Leeds! Hopefully one opens up soon.


MTO



No comments:

Post a Comment